"Everyone refers to him as the Blair Witch of the Lower East Side. And I just shook his hand." Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going is about a fat high schooler (Troy Billings) who is about to commit suicide until he meets Curt MaCrae, a school legend. However, Troy's dad, a former soldier in the army, doesn't like Troy's new friend. He's suspicious about Curt because he thinks Curt drinks, smokes, and might be taking illegal drugs.
And later in the book, you find out Troy's dad is partly correct about Curt. Curt passes out from an overdose, then has to go to the hospital, where Curt continues on to steal medicine. This was interesting to me because, in real life, things like this happen (especially around Troy's age). So this book prepares you for what could happen at high school. That's also a very good reason for Troy's dad not to like Curt.
In a way, I can relate to Troy because there was a time my parents didn't trust my friends. I had downloaded some games on my phone without my parents' permission and it ended up costing them some unexpected money. They thought my friends had urged me to download the games onto my phone. However, unlike Troy's dad, my parents were wrong.
Over all, I think Troy's dad is right, but he should let Troy figure out some of right and wrong for himself because his dad doesn't give him enough room to figure things out for himself.
No comments:
Post a Comment